Antique Safes/Coalbrookdale traveling safe/strongbox

Question
Coalbrookdale
Coalbrookdale  

Coalbrookdale
Coalbrookdale  
I have just been given this cast iron coalbrookdale safe or strongbox and would like to know something about its original use etc
It has "Coalbrookdale" cast in the door but I cannot find out any more information from this company info
It has paneling on all sides with a smooth base
There are three handles one at each side and one on the top.
Dimensions are 21" wide, 13" tall and 14 1/2" deep
The key hole has a locking brass cover which is released by sliding the brass button.
The key is 4 inches long with a hollow stem, the tab with the cut outs is tapered (getting wider from the stem)
There is a false wooden floor which i assume has been added later
It is heavy but two men can just about carry it but not very far!
I have tried to remove panel from the door to reveal the lock but it is secured on very well so gave up. There is no signs that it has ever been removed
I have just asked you about another cast iron  safe and i just wondered as the key for this safe is very similar in size and style to the other would they have used the same locksmith to provide locks or be made by the same foundry who bought the locks from one locksmith.
I can supply more pictures if needed
This is all very interesting and I look forward to hearing your comments
Regards
Kevin

Answer
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the pictures of the cast iron chest.  First came Armada Chests which made of stout wood wrapped around with wrought iron reinforcing bands; then came the cast iron chest and eventually the safe.  

This cast iron chest will pre-date the other one slightly but essentially the same comments apply.  These chests preceded the 'safe' which didn't begin to evolve until the mid 1800s.

The key is exactly how I described it in my previous response and the lock is once again a 'box of wards'.  My guess is the false floor was introduced in an attempt to create some resistance to heat.  Coalbrookdale in Shropshire was famous for its iron foundry and they made the made the first cast iron bridge (giving the name Ironbridge to the local village) and cast the decorative gates to Hyde Park in London.  There is a Coalbrookdale Museum of Iron and may be worth you taking a couple of pictures along to show the curator.

As I said in my previous response, these cast iron chests were particularly vulnerable if struck with sledge hammers so they were pretty useless both as fire and burglary resistant containers. By the mid 1800s the 'safe' was beginning to evolve and by the early 1900's there were literally scores of safe manufacturers feeding a hungry market.  J Tann, Chubb and Milner's would soon come to dominate.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer