Antique Safes/Dating a Milner safe

Question
pic 1
pic 1  

pic 2
pic 2  

I have just inherited a Milner safe and have attached some images. I wonder if you could help me out with dating it please? I know the history of Milner safes but I am struggling to accurately date this one. It's in lovely condition and the paintwork is all original . many thanks for your help. the serial number on the hinge is 3027u2309 . James

Answer
James,

Sorry, while I also have all of the basic history for this company, I have no records for serial numbers and/or when any individual safes were manufactured.

I don't specialize in European and/or English made safes - I specialize in Antique safes made in the US.

There are two other individuals on this same site (Allexperts / Antique Safes) that are both in England and would have much more info concerning this company and/or possible dates of manufacture.

Check with either Mike Palmer or Tom Gordon to see if either of them can "date" when your safe was possible manufactured.    If neither of them have access to the records, then they may not exist.

My records indicate that safes with the "212" plaque were manufactured from the mid 1850's until the late 1800's.   I realize that 1855-1895 is a fairly large period, but it's about the best that I can do.    The "212" indicates the temperature (C), at which water becomes a vapor.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  Check with both Tom and Mike to see if they have more info.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)