Antique Safes/Detroit Safe

Question
Hello, I found a posting on your site of interest.  The link is to a question posted about a Detroit Safe and answered by you.  

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Antique-Safes-3774/2012/8/safes-13.htm

I have the exact type and size safe and was wondering about a ballpark value of it.  It's a large safe with exterior rusting/pitting and the interior is missing some shelves and the interior door and safe-deposit box door locks.

Any assistance would be great... further, If I was looking to sell this safe - what would be the best route?  craigslist, ebay, local antique or safe shop?  I have no clue lol

Thanks a ton for your time in this matter

Answer
Hi Dan,

First off when dealing with collectibles and/or antiques, there is no such thing as "the exact same item"!   Value is based on a number of items including condition, age, size, type, and any historical significance.   So EVEN if you had the exact safe in the exact condition, depending on where it has been and who owned it, the two containers may have astronomically different values.

So my first recommendation is NEVER read a posting that was directed to someone else about their item and try to apply it to yours - your safe has to stand on its own "four wheels", so to speak!

I would be more than happy to take a look at your safe to see what you have and to evaluate it for you.   As far as selling the safe, there is no one better way than another, however safe companies are not in the business of selling collectible or antique safes - they are in the business of selling security, so chances are they would charge you to haul it away, even though they may later sell it.
Antique stores or auction houses tend to be a good way, as they address customers that are specifically looking for older or antique items, however they generally charge a hefty consignment fee for selling your safe - generally in the 30-50% range.

I'm not a big fan of Ebay or Craigslist, but they are a great way to get the item viewed, generally though people have to be looking to find the item.   But just like any business, if you want to sell something you have to advertise, advertise, advertise.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)