Antique Safes/milner safe

Question
safe 1
safe 1  

safe 2
safe 2  

I have just inherited a Milner safe and have attached some images. I wonder if you could help me out with dating it please? I know the history of Milner safes but I am struggling to accurately date this one. It's in lovely condition and the paintwork is all original . many thanks for your help. the serial number on the hinge is 3027u2309 . James

Answer
Hello James,

U2309 was manufactured in 1909.  As you say, it is in excellent condition and this type of construction was known as '8 corner bent'.  By 1909 powerful metal presses had been introduced so Milner's was able to fashion the four sides of the body with mitred flanges at the back into which the back plate could be fixed from the inside, and mitred flanges at the front into which the door frame was fitted.

Regars,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer