Antique Safes/safe info

Question
old safe
old safe  

badge ,
badge ,  
I have just bought a old safe called  ,The Security Safe company .Birmingham on it.any info on the company would be great/I am in Auckland new zealand
regards steven walker.

Answer
Hello Steven,

Thank you for your question and the pictures.  Unfortunately I can't tell you much about the company.  The end of the 19th century saw small safe manufacturers popping up everywhere, especially in the industrial Midlands.  This particular form of construction is referred to as 'four corner banded' and comprised a single sheet of mild steel bent to form four sides of a box.  A back plate was screwed or riveted in place and a door hung at the front. Because the back plate was highly vulnerable, heavy steel bands were wrapped around the front and rear edges.  The body was usually filled with a loose mix of sand and sawdust, sometime with some alum crystals, to provide some measure of fire resistancd.  This type of safe probably dates to circa 1890 and was considered obsolete by 1900 and it is not a good idea to use them to secure cash, valuables or important documents.  

Today they have little commercial value as they are far too old to be acceptable by insurers.  However there are collectors of late Victorian safes who restore them to a high standard, often going to great lengths to repaint them in their original colours.

This safe has one interesting feature.  I have collected and traded safe plates for some years and have not come across this one before and it is probably worth more than the safe. To get an idea of values, the best thing to do is take a look at 'antique safes' and 'safe plates' on eBay.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy  

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer