Antique Safes/American Steam Safe restoration

Question
american steam safe
american steam safe  

american steam safe
american steam safe  
I recently purchased an AmericanSteam Safe and would like to restore it.  It contains numerous copper canisters filled with fluid. I have several questions regarding the project, first the nature of the fluid in the canisters- merely water or also antifreeze?  Second, should I puncture and drain all the canisters to prevent any further leakage and would this diminish the value of the safe? Finally where might I find an original image as a model for restoation?

Answer
Hi Matthew,

the cannisters were originally filled with water.    The purpose,  as the name suggests,  was to fill the safe with steam in the event of a fire.    Unfortunately as the manufacturer found out,  all of the excessive water created it's own problems,  like mold and mildew.    

The manufacturer was unable to solve these issues, which is one of the reasons they quit making these safes.

I will have to look through my photo library to see if I have any better pics.   There is no original art work available.

You will need to send a request directly to me for the photos.       Andy@securitysafeusa.com  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)