Antique Safes/Antique Diebold safe door stuck

Question
QUESTION: Hi, Im hoping you can help. My father in law gave us his old safe. We have the combo and had the door open before we moved the safe. After trailering it 600 miles to our house the door is stuck. The door rattles like its not bound up but when I enter the combo and turn to 95 then rotate handle clockwise it turns about 30 degrees then feels like it binds up. Tried a cheater bar on handle to gently give it more turning torque but didn't want to put a lot of pressure on it as I was afraid of breaking something inside. Got any ideas before I call a safe tech? And If I do need a tech do you know any good ones in Denver area?

Thanks

ANSWER: Hugh,

This is an all to common question.   Chances are the door is NOT stuck, but you may have hit the safe during travel, which may have knocked the dial out of alignment.

first question:     You have indicated dialing the combination and turning to 95 - DOES THE DIAL come to a stop at about 95, or are "YOU" stopping the dial at 95????    If the dial does NOT stop on its own - it won't turn any further, then the combination is NOT dialed correctly, and NO AMOUNT OF FORCE on the handle is going to open the safe!

THROW THE CHEATER BAR AWAY!!!!

If "YOU" are stopping the dial at 95, then there is probably a misalignment between the dial and the lock.    You can try adding/subtracting single numbers to each number of your combination to see if it will open, if not, then you WILL need to have it checked out by a safe technician from a local safe company.

Check your Yellow pages under safes & vaults for local companies, though you will have to determine if they have enough experience to work on your safe.

The nearest company that I might recommend would be from Colorado Springs.

J & R Safe and Security, Inc.
7857 Scarborough Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80920-7117
719-282-0360

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: Wow thanks for the quick reply.  Ok cheater bar gone.lol the combo when dialed in stops on 95 and wont go any further. Before I call safe company,would turning safe on its back or side do any good? Also is the 30 degree handle turn correct or should it turn more?

Answer
Hi Hugh,

if the lock comes to a complete stop, then you either have a bolt work issue, or a door issue.    If the handle turns then the door may be stuck.  Older doors may have worn hinges allowing the door to set down on the threshold.     It can also cause the bolt work to bind.

lifting slightly on the door may relieve the pressure,  and allow you to fully retract the bolt work to open the door.

as I mentioned before,  mechanical problems tend to require hands on diagnostics & solutions.

Hope this helps.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)