Antique Safes/brown chubb safe

Originall brown chubb safe. UK trademarked
Originall brown chubb  
My father picked up this safe along time ago. It is massive, Chubb safe originally brown but painted over with blue. 2 lock keys that work and a smaller safe within the safe at the bottom using the same 2 keys to open it. Its trademarked with fishlocks Uk lift locks.

If you could give a me a price on this it would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Hi Angela,

Thanks for the question and the picture.  This is a Chubb Safe Cabinet, probably made in the 1930's, designed to protect large volumes of paper records from loss by fire.  Although it is heavy and robust, it is not actually a burglar resistant cash safe. The 'fish locks' depict a chubb, a fresh water fish that was their trade mark for many years.

Modern computers have reduced the need to store large volumes of paper records so there is not much of a market for this type of cabinet.  I have no knowledge of the used safe market in Australia but in the UK I would expect it to fetch around 150 UK pounds, but finding a buyer could be a problem.

I am interested in the 'smaller safe within the safe at the bottom'.  This could be a burglar resistant coffer which would add to the value or it could just be a lockable container.  If you would like to send another picture, I could comment further.

If you found these comments useful, perhaps you could take a moment to rate this answer.

Many thanks,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

safe within a safe
safe within a safe  
QUESTION: Thank you so much for your helpful advice. The bottom safe has two separate keys to open it, so essentially you need 4 keys to open it.

Thanks for the additional information.  This looks like a lockable cupboard rather than a coffer although it is unusual to have dual locking.  It certainly makes this item more useful but hard to say what sort of price to put on it.  Usually I tell enquirers to compare prices on ebay but in this case I don't think you are likely to find anything similar.

My suggestion is that you advertise it as a fire resistant Chubb Safe Cabinet made circa 1935 complete with three adjustable shelves and dual-locking interior compartment.  Ideal for the security and protection of vital and confidential documents.  As for price, I would aim hign and come down if necessary.  If it was in the UK, I would probably go for 300 pounts stirling.

Good luck.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others