Antique Safes/Hall Safe

Question
Hall\'s Safe Company
Hall's Safe Company  
Reading the various post I think this safe was manufactured early 1900's. The numbers stamped on each handle is 74877.   Could you give me your expert opinion.
The safe is locked and I do not want it drilled to open.  The combination wheel does not state a manufacturer so I'm not sure if its Hall or others wheel set.    
I had a safe tech try to open without success, he did identify potential numbered gate openings.  Hopefully these numbers will open eventually.
The bottom hinge acorns are missing and I will attempt to find on ebay or here.  Thanks

Answer
Steve,

You are correct that it is early 1900's, possibly as late as 1915.

As far as your "NOT" wanting the safe drilled, you can insist upon this, however you may never get the safe opened.   Let me explain why:

1.   While there may be hundreds or thousands of locksmiths available - very few of them have any real safe experience, which is why I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work, especially on locked up safes and antiques.

2.   The percentage of locksmiths who are also trained safe technicians is a very small number, less than 10%.    And while most of these have basic safe training or experience, they are not trained manipulators.    And of these that do have the training, most of them do not use it often enough to be "SKILLED" at it.

3.   Of the number of safe technicians in the entire country that are skilled manipulators, there are probably less than 100, spread across the entire US.   So you may not have someone in your area that is skilled enough to open your safe.

4.   Manipulation is never a guaranteed job.    What you may be paying for is the service and NOT the end result.    If the lock fails to talk, the safe tech is still going to want payment for the services.

Drilling on the other hand, when done by a skilled, trained safe technician will not damage the safe or the lock.   The very small, single hole, usually less than 1/4", can easily be repaired and no replacement parts are necessary.   On the other hand when done by an unskilled locksmith or safe tech, I've seen safes turned into something similar to Swiss Cheese!!!!

Unfortunately due to distances, having a trained, expert manipulator come to you to open your safe could easily be much more than having a skilled local safe tech drill and open your safe.

My first recommendation would be for you to check your local yellow pages, under safes & vaults to see what companies are listed.   You can then have a conversation with them to find out the skill level of their safe techs, and what their costs are.    Make sure that you get ALL costs up front, as there should be NO HIDDEN charges.    Any one who actually knows what they are doing should be able to give you a flat fee to open your safe, including travel charges.    Someone trying to do an "open ended" estimate like "time and material", is covering their own lack of knowledge and how long it may take.

If you can't find someone that "YOU" trust to work on your safe, then let me know where you and the safe are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know in your area, that I would recommend.

As far as the missing acorn goes - if you would like to send a separate email directly to me, along with your photo, I'll look through my old parts to see what I might have.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)