Antique Safes/Hall and Son Safe Company Antique Floor Safe

safe knob and handle
safe knob and handle  

inside of safe
inside of safe  
We have found in an old building on a property we recently purchased an old floor safe.  The dial has the name Hall and Son Safe Company Cincinnati OH.  On the inside door there is some artwork with flowers that is coming off in spots, but I see a date of what looks like 1849.  The serial number on the handle is worn in spots, but I can make out 24 then it is blank and then looks like a 7.   Would love to try to sell this and wonder what it is worth.  It is open, but no combination.  The inside shelving is missing, but still has the carpet layer on the bottom.  It does not look to have been repainted at all, but shows signs of obvious age with rust.  This measures 41 x 25 x 30 inches.   It is extremely heavy-we moved it with a forklift.  From what I can gather, it has been always inside.   Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheryl,  your safe is more likely from the late 1860's or so.  It does look like a Hall safe, but are you sure it says Hall and Son.  Possible, but that name never was used in the yearly Cincinnati directory.  Regarding value, it has potential but as it sits, you would probably be lucky to get a few hundred for it.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place