Antique Safes/information on a particular safe I want to purchace.

I have a customer of mine interested in selling me his safe.I would like to know what you can tell me about this safe based on the info I was able to glean from the metal tags that were visible and obvious.It is a Herring-Hall-Marvin safe, there is the number283135, says fire class B,T 20 burglary, underwriters lab inc. is this a good safe for in the home ie;fire proof/good for the average joe to keep valuables, jewellery cash etc, any idea with respect to its weight and age.Its grey in color,combinatin lock with handle to the left of the door, white gold & red pinstripe and lettering indicating HHM top lft corner of the door, bottom of the door herring Hall Marvin.Can you help fill in the gaps please . Thank you for your attention Pat.

Hi Pat,

without out seeing the safe, I can't evaluate it for you,  however based on the information you have provided I can give you the following information:

As HHM has been out of business since 1959, at a minimum the safe would be over 55 years olf.   Safes over 50 years old are considered to NOT meet any current standards for fire or burglary resistance.   And actually, the T-20 rating is only a tamper resistance,  not a burglary resistance rating.

The following values would apply:

Fire resistance          $0          does not meet any current standards
burglary          $0          not a burglary resistive safe
resale value          $0          has no commercial or retail value.   Should not be used for any overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.
Antique/collectible    $0          is neither antique or collectible.

While it would not have any value under any of the above categories,  this does not mean that it has no value, however your question concerned whether it would make a good safe for your home.   My answer is no it wouldn't!

Hope this helps.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada