Antique Safes/john tann reliance safe age

Question
John Tann Reliance Safe
John Tann Reliance Saf  

serial number
serial number  
I just bought a john tann reliance safe and was wondering what year it was built and weather it is better left in its original condition or doing it up. The serial number is 14337. It has 2 internal lockable drawers. Any other information you are able to give me would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance Bobby

Answer
Hello Bobby,

Thank you for your question and the pictures.

The serial number indicates that it was made in 1889 and obviously a safe of this age would not offer any protection against modern burglars, so it should not be used to secure significant sums of cash or valuables.  

This form of obsolete construction is referred to as '4 corner bent' as the top, bottom and two sides were formed from a single sheet of mild steel bent 4 times.  A sepaarate plate was screwed or riveted onto the back and the door hung at the front.  The body is filled with sand and sawdust as a primitive form of fire protection but this loose mix will all now all be compacted at the bottom of the safe leaving large voids through which heat would be conducted.

These old safes no longer have a security function but they do make interesting curios and personally I like to see them refurbished in their original colours.  It you search eBay for antique safes you are bound to find a few for sales, some in original colours and some tarted up somewhat.  It is worth seeing what they fetch - ignore the 'buy now' prices they always ask way too much and very seldom sell.

I hope you find this useful.  If so, please take a moment to rate this answer.

Many thanks,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer