Antique Safes/Make and model?

Question
Safe
Safe  

Safe
Safe  

I just purchased this old safe and was wondering if you can help with the make and model?
It has no name plate or markings I can see but has a distinctive hand holding a scroll for the handle.
2 small drawers are within the main section with different keys.
I am going to restore it and would love to give it the correct badge.

Answer
Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your question.  The brass hand and bar handle was used on a number of different makes and models of safes in the late Victorian era so there's nothing I can see that identifies your safe as a particular make.  The type of construction is known as 'four corner bent'as a single sheet of mild steel was bent 4 times to form the top, botton and two sides of the body.  A back plate was fitted from the outside to an angle-iron frame and the door was hung at the front.

The back panel was particularly vulnnerable to attack and by 1910 this form of construction was obsolete.

As all manufacturers made safes of this type, you can put almost any brass badge on it.  If you search ebay for brass safe plates and antique safes you should see various types of plate being actioned.  You will also get some ideas for what colours to use when restoring your safe.

Good luck with the restoration.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer