Antique Safes/Need a dial

Question
front
front  

lock
lock  
Acquired an old safe. Only have pictures. Do not know anything else about it. It is missing the dial assembly but the handle and lock parts still work. I've been trying to find some sort of a dial or electronic lock (whatever will work at this point) to make the safe functional again but have not had any luck on anything. I've attached many pictures and was hoping the identity of the safe would point me in the right direction or also a source that could sell me a dial and hardware for this safe. Any help greatly appreciated. .....and I guess it will only let me attach 2 photos?

Answer
Hi Josh,

You aren't just missing the dial, you are missing the whole lock!!!    While the bolt work is intact, you will need a complete lock, dial & dial ring.

Your safe was manufactured by the "Wehrle Company".    Basic history:

Wehrle Company - fire proof safes - manufactured safes between 1904 to 1941, Newark, Ohio.
Founder was J.C. Wehrle
The Wehrle Co., was a stove manufacturer (cast iron) from 1883.   During their redevelopment in 1904, they purchased the Atlas Safe Company of Fostoria, Ohio.   They moved this operation to Newark, Ohio and did manufacture a small line of fire resistive safes until 1941, when they converted manufacturing to the wartime production of munitions and military hardware.
The company when through several name changes over the years until they were acquired by Sears, Roebucks & Company.    
During the time the company manufactured and sold safes, in addition to their own line of 18 models ranging from 300 to 3000 lbs, they also sold safes manufactured by York, Baum, Alpine.    Some of their safes were relabeled and sold by the Vulcan Safe Company, out of Dayton, Ohio, a primarily mail order company.    After the move to Newark, the company was producing around 35 safes a day.

The lock on your safe "SHOULD" be a Yale OB series, gravity lever type lock.    The three wheel version was an OBB lock and the four wheel version was an OB lock.

I may have one or two complete lock and dial sets at my shop, though you will need to send an email directly to me to remind me what to look for.    I'm in the field for the next couple days, and won't remember this posting by the time I return.

Send your request to me at:      andy@securitysafeusa.com

Don't forget to be specific in your request so that I know what to look for.

You are correct about this site not being "photo friendly", which is why I usually request that photos be sent directly to me.    Sorry but this is not my site - I'm simply a volunteer here.     However the photos that you DID include, were all that I needed, in this case, to ID the safe and the lock that you need.    Good choice of photos!

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)