Antique Safes/Old Safe

Hi Doug,

I've bought a safe for really good price and i want to know more about it. I'm planning restoring it and resell it. I'm pretty sure it's a old bank or jeweler safe. It have 10 Bolt in the door with 2 combination lock. Inside, it have 2 smaller safe with 2 lock per safe again. i have all the pieces and everything work great it's just ugly. I would like to know the company who made it and the age Approx.

Thanks Doug

Best regards

Max, maybe you think it is ugly, I think it looks great.  Painting could be improved though.  It does not look familiar but then again I have not seen everything.  The cast skirting around the bottom I believe was used by a couple companies, J.J. Taylor from Toronto? and Martin Briggs across the lake in Buffalo.  Being in Quebec I would think it was a Taylor.  How about a couple nice pictures of the back of the door and the locks. That might help dating and determining the maker.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place