Antique Safes/Parts for Meilink Home Deposit Vault

Inside, cover off
Inside, cover off  
Front of Safe
Front of Safe  

I am hoping to connect with you to identify and purchase missing parts for my safe. Is this something that you can assist with?  Many thanks.

ANSWER: Craig, I am not so sure you are missing parts.  Unscrew that slotted screw and remove all the parts on the center tube. Then lay out all the parts you have and post another picture.  The 2 wheels were probably removed to prevent the safe from getting locked cause they didn't know how to figure out the combination.  Doug

center tube parts
center tube parts  
Parts removed
Parts removed  
QUESTION: Hello Doug,

I have removed the slotted screw and put the parts in the order I have removed them. Of course, I still have the two other discs in the first pic I sent you on the side. Pictures are attached.

Thanks again.

Meilink part
Meilink part  
ANSWER: Installation starting from right to left    parts mounted on tube          1.  Ring with single pin pointing up          2.  wheel with numbers facing up   the lower pin fits into this wheel          3.  Thick Isolation spacing washer          4.  Ring with double pin   longer pin facing up and fitting into the wheel in step 5.          5.  wheel with numbers facing up          6.  Thick isolation spacing washer          7.  Drive wheel numbers up          8.  Washer          9.  Adjustable pin bracket with pin fitting into drive wheel          10. Small washer          11. Slotted screw          

QUESTION: Thank you very much. I am happy that I am not missing parts. Do you think I would need a safe tech to set a combo or I should be able follow some instructions and do it.  Thanks

If you are actually planning on using the safe, I would recommend having a safe tech do the job.  Otherwise if you study the parts as you put them together, you will find that you are setting the combination.  After assembly study the actions as you turn the dial.  If you haven't figured out how it works within 1/2 to 1 hour,  get a safe tech to show you.  These are the same instructions I give to a locksmith.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place