Antique Safes/safe

Question
front
front  

inside
inside  
hello,I have a Samuel withers safe, I was just wondering the value of it as I have some one coming too appraise it and I wanted a second opinion. on the top of the door there is a stamp saying "NACB" I was under the impression this is a serial number.
many thanks

Answer
Hi Scott,

Unfortunately I am not an expert on European and English safes, however I am aware of the approximate value of safes similar to yours, and I am very familiar with the Withers family of Safe Makers, and their various safes.

The problem is that pretty much ALL of the safe manufacturers in England pretty much copied each other with this style of safe.    With the exception of the lock, the key hole cover, the handle and possibly the manufacturer's name plaque - these safes were virtually identical.

Also as these containers were limited to distribution predominately inside of the UK, there are 1000's of these containers available for sale.    Even though it is considered an antique, because of the market, and the number of safes available, the value is artificially lowered.

If this same safe was in an area, like the US, where these containers were NOT imported, values would be double or triple what they are throughout the UK.

In general, these containers tend to go for 150 to 200 British Pounds   ($240 to $320 US).   In the US, you might be able to see more like $600 to $800 US  (375-500 British Pounds).   At a well publicized auction in the US, it might double this.     However in the UK as you might find several of these containers at an auction, the prices are going to be much lower.

Sorry, I wish the news was better.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)