Antique Safes/safe

hello,I have a Samuel withers safe, I was just wondering the value of it as I have some one coming too appraise it and I wanted a second opinion. on the top of the door there is a stamp saying "NACB" I was under the impression this is a serial number.
many thanks

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately I am not an expert on European and English safes, however I am aware of the approximate value of safes similar to yours, and I am very familiar with the Withers family of Safe Makers, and their various safes.

The problem is that pretty much ALL of the safe manufacturers in England pretty much copied each other with this style of safe.    With the exception of the lock, the key hole cover, the handle and possibly the manufacturer's name plaque - these safes were virtually identical.

Also as these containers were limited to distribution predominately inside of the UK, there are 1000's of these containers available for sale.    Even though it is considered an antique, because of the market, and the number of safes available, the value is artificially lowered.

If this same safe was in an area, like the US, where these containers were NOT imported, values would be double or triple what they are throughout the UK.

In general, these containers tend to go for 150 to 200 British Pounds   ($240 to $320 US).   In the US, you might be able to see more like $600 to $800 US  (375-500 British Pounds).   At a well publicized auction in the US, it might double this.     However in the UK as you might find several of these containers at an auction, the prices are going to be much lower.

Sorry, I wish the news was better.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada