Antique Safes/safe restoration

Question
I bought a safe at an auction this past weekend and I would like to restore it. Above the door it appears to have "Freeman and Son". It also has a picture about 2" high and 3" wide of what looks to be a farmhouse setting on the upper part of the door. When I took the back of the door off there was a code stamped on it 8/31. I wondered if that was the year it was made. I would like to find that picture so I could refurbished the door. Also I would like to have the combination mechanism redone. Where would I have that sent to have it re-brassed.I am in the central east coast area.

Answer
Thomas, the name above the safe is usually the original buyer of the safe.  This practice seems to have died out around WWI, so I doubt it is from the 1930's.  However since it has a combination lock it would not be from the 1830's.  So no probably not a date of manufacture.  Hard to say on the farmhouse scene.  Could have been copied from an existing picture but more likely not.  Probably Wilson Safe in Philadelphia is your best bet on the combination work.  They may also know of a brass plating company as well out in that area.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen