Antique Safes/Samuel Withers safe

Question
I have a Samuel Withers safe, single door about 2' high.

I want to insure the contents but the insurance company tell me it should have some sort of value rating as to how secure it is, or it may be how much it can hold - i dont really understand.  

Any ideas?

Answer
Hello Craig,

Thanks for your question.  All cash safes are given a cash rating according to their resistance to attack.  The more resistance they provide the higher the indemnity level. Cash ratings can range from nil to 100,000.  Most insurers take advice on cash ratings from the Association of Insurance Surveyors whose Safe Committee publish an annual Safe List.  This contains recommended cash ratings on literally hundreds of safes both currently in production and those that have been out of production for many years.

Samuel Withers safes tend to be very ancient, many of them dating back to the late Victorian era and obviously they can offer very little protection against modern methods of attack.  These very ancient safes often have no cash rating whatsoever or at very best, a rating of just 1,000.  However, for domestic valuables, this cash rating can be multiplied by a factor of 10.  So if you are not securing cash, you many be indemnified for up to 10,000 in domestic valuables.

In order to advise you further, I would need to see a picture of your Sam Withers safe.  If it is easier, you can send it directly to me at info@mikepalmerconsultancy.co.uk

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer