Antique Safes/Thomas Skidmore safe

Question
QUESTION: Hi Mike, I have recently been given an old Skidmore safe and would like to restore it. This is what I have considered so far:
Either wire brush  or 'soft' sandblast any rust (not much)away and then paint with 'Hammer-Rite'. The handle on the front of the door is missing although the spindle is still in place. The interior drawers seem intact but there are no keys the door or the drawers.

My questions are: 1) Is it worth doing? Is my restoration plan ok and are handles and keys available? Is there a serial number or something I need to quote for keys if they are available. I am not looking to sell it but restore and keep it as an item of beauty and interest.
regards Clive Collins

ANSWER: Hi Clive,

Whilst these late Victorian safes have little value, they do make interesting curios and I love to see them tastefully restored.  For security reasons, safe makers never keep any record of safe keys and even if they did, Skidmore's disappeared so many years ago that any records would have long been lost.  

A good master locksmith with a safe engineering section will be able to cut keys to the existing lock.  Go to www.locksmith.co.uk to locate locksmiths in your area.  They should also be able to find a suitable replacement handle.  

Is it worth doing?  The cost of refurbishing and obtaining new keys and a replacement handle are likely to cost more than it's worth but if it was mine, I would certainly keep it and restore it.

To get some ideas regarding the original colours of these old safes, go to ebay and search for 'antique safes'.  There are usually a few up for auction.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

QUESTION: Hi Mike, firstly, many thanks for a quick and helpful response - much appreciated. Was my proposed method of restoration i.e. wire brush and/or 'soft' sand-blasting followed by a Hammerite type paint a suitable method or do I need a specialist type paint? I'm particularly concerned not to damage the surface of the metal.

Regards and thank you again
Clive Collins

Answer
Hi Clive,

I am no expert on refurbishing safes but in the past I have sent safes for sandblasting back to the bare metal.  They were then primed and spray painted with high gloss enamel.  Your safe is made of a number of mild steel plates riveted to an angle-iron frame so it seems unlikely that you could do much damage,

Skidmore used to have a very attractiv brass name plate which looked very special when polished.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer