Antique Safes/Weight of Herring Hall Marvin Safe

Safe Interior
Safe Interior  
Safe Exterior
Safe Exterior  
QUESTION: We have an old Herring Hall Marvin Safe that sustained external water damage. An overhead pipe in the storage area leaked, and the damage to the safe wasn't discovered for several months.  The outside of the safe has some rust and I believe calcium-type deposits.  The interior is fine, and the lock mechanism works perfectly.  

It has to be moved, and we are looking to dispose of it.  Any idea of what it might weigh?  I believe it is a "bank safe" (not just fireproof).  The exterior dimensions are 42" Tall (including the castors); 27.5" wide; and 24" deep.  The doors and walls are at least 3" thick. The door has 3 locking bolts (3/4" diameter each). Photo is attached.

I recall it was very, very heavy for the moving company to move into its current location.

Appreciate your help.

ANSWER: Hi Dave,

Sorry but this is NOT a bankers model.    It is a fire resistive safe ONLY.

Weight of the safe is going to be around 1500 to 2000 lbs, possibly closer to 1800 lbs.

What other questions do you have???

Thanks for your help! Just curious, how do you tell the difference between a "bankers model" vs Fire Resistant safe?

Appreciate the weight estimate - it will help me find the right mover's for it.

Hi Dave,

a Bankers model is basically solid steel,  though a few models were fire resistive as well.    They used crane hinge supported doors with pressure bar systems to help close them.

While your's may have been owned by a bank, it is simply a fire resistive container designed to provide document protection from fire.

Second item a similar size banker's model would easily weigh two to three times as much.

Hope this helps.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada