Antique Safes/Weight of Herring Hall Marvin Safe

Question
Safe Interior
Safe Interior  
Safe Exterior
Safe Exterior  
QUESTION: We have an old Herring Hall Marvin Safe that sustained external water damage. An overhead pipe in the storage area leaked, and the damage to the safe wasn't discovered for several months.  The outside of the safe has some rust and I believe calcium-type deposits.  The interior is fine, and the lock mechanism works perfectly.  

It has to be moved, and we are looking to dispose of it.  Any idea of what it might weigh?  I believe it is a "bank safe" (not just fireproof).  The exterior dimensions are 42" Tall (including the castors); 27.5" wide; and 24" deep.  The doors and walls are at least 3" thick. The door has 3 locking bolts (3/4" diameter each). Photo is attached.

I recall it was very, very heavy for the moving company to move into its current location.

Appreciate your help.

ANSWER: Hi Dave,

Sorry but this is NOT a bankers model.    It is a fire resistive safe ONLY.

Weight of the safe is going to be around 1500 to 2000 lbs, possibly closer to 1800 lbs.

What other questions do you have???

QUESTION: Terry,
Thanks for your help! Just curious, how do you tell the difference between a "bankers model" vs Fire Resistant safe?

Appreciate the weight estimate - it will help me find the right mover's for it.

Dave

Answer
Hi Dave,

a Bankers model is basically solid steel,  though a few models were fire resistive as well.    They used crane hinge supported doors with pressure bar systems to help close them.

While your's may have been owned by a bank, it is simply a fire resistive container designed to provide document protection from fire.

Second item a similar size banker's model would easily weigh two to three times as much.

Hope this helps.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)