Antique Safes/York Safe

Question
I recently purchased an early 1900 about 30 inches high and just realized that it was missing 3 finials. Do you have any idea where I might be able to acquire these for my safe. Besides that the safe is in good condition with a working combination.

Thank you-

Ben

Answer
Hi Ben,

Generally they are NOT going to be readily available.   Even if you went to every lock and safe company, getting them to dig through their boxes of old parts is usually NOT going to happen, unless you are very serious about buying them AND are prepared to pay for their time.

Send me a photo, EXACT measurements, of the acorn that you do have, and I'll look through my boxes.

Your other option other than undertaking this massive sure to be fruitless search, would be to have new ones made up.    Use the one that you do have, as a sample to have a machine shop make some for you.

Machine shop time is pretty expensive, and having a small quantity made (like four) is going to be fairly costly.    You should be expecting pricing of between $75 ea to $200 ea, depending on the machine shop and more importantly, the material you choose.

For instance you might be able to save some money by using cheap materials that are easy to machine, however to have them plated, you could eat up all of your savings.     Some of the nicest ones I've seen made were done out of polished stainless steel!

Send me the photos and measurements of your Finial to:    andy@securitysafeusa.com   and I'll see what I might have.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)