Antique Safes/York Safe

I recently purchased an early 1900 about 30 inches high and just realized that it was missing 3 finials. Do you have any idea where I might be able to acquire these for my safe. Besides that the safe is in good condition with a working combination.

Thank you-

Hi Ben,

Generally they are NOT going to be readily available.   Even if you went to every lock and safe company, getting them to dig through their boxes of old parts is usually NOT going to happen, unless you are very serious about buying them AND are prepared to pay for their time.

Send me a photo, EXACT measurements, of the acorn that you do have, and I'll look through my boxes.

Your other option other than undertaking this massive sure to be fruitless search, would be to have new ones made up.    Use the one that you do have, as a sample to have a machine shop make some for you.

Machine shop time is pretty expensive, and having a small quantity made (like four) is going to be fairly costly.    You should be expecting pricing of between $75 ea to $200 ea, depending on the machine shop and more importantly, the material you choose.

For instance you might be able to save some money by using cheap materials that are easy to machine, however to have them plated, you could eat up all of your savings.     Some of the nicest ones I've seen made were done out of polished stainless steel!

Send me the photos and measurements of your Finial to:   and I'll see what I might have.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada