Antique Safes/Antique Diebold safe idenification

Question
Front Outside 0880
Front Outside 0880  

Door inside 0876
Door inside 0876  
I would like to know what year this safe is?
If it has any value?
It has a 4 wheel mechanism.
I need a change key & instructions.
I do not know what model to order one.
The dial is missing the change mark.
inside the lock says (Anti- Dynamite)(Pat'D July 28, 85)
says (9071 on cover)
It has a wheel u turn to open safe.

Answer
Hi Robert,

Your safe is a small "Bankers" model.    This doesn't mean that it was owned by any particular bank, it was simply designed to provide EXTRA protection against burglaries.    Note:   This particular safe does not have any fire resistance.     While the safe was designed to protect against dynamite and nitroglycerin attacks, the lock was also designed to resist this type of attack.    The dial does NOT go directly into the safe, and into the lock, it is offset, controlling the lock through a series of gears.

You are incorrect in assuming that the dial does not have a changing index mark - this is actually a "zero" index lock, meaning that the dialing index is also the changing index.    The lock bolt and lever assembly has to be removed to set the combination, and then re-installed to test it.

While I can come up with a set of instructions for this lock, the problem is going to be finding a changing tool.   As this lock has not been made in over 100 years, parts and tools are NOT going to be readily available, and in fact may be in someone's collection.    Chances of having them sell you one is either going to be very expensive or simply NOT available.    I'll have to do some checking on this one - so I'll need you to send a request directly to my email to remind me to look for one for you, as I'm not going to remember this posting by Monday.

Send the request to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com

I would be more than happy to look at your safe to answer any specific questions that you might have about it, for you.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)