Antique Safes/artwork/decals/finials

I have restored a number of vault doors and safes. The artwork is always the biggest headache. Is there any source for some good decals (i.e. Mosler logo, and repeating border and/or corner decals of the  water transfer type)?  They could be NOS (new old stock) or a really decent generic reproduction....Hinge finials would be great too....I have cad drawings for Taylor and Mosler finials but after plating, etc., they are still costly...Thanks for any help you are able to provide.

Hi Jerry,

Sorry, but there simply isn't enough call for anyone to make up replacement decals, and there are simply too many different types.

My recommendation would be for you to get some quality images of the art work that you need duplicated, and take it to any of the "rapid sign" companies that to digital graphics or decals for cars etc.    They should be able to make the small quantities of the items that you nee.

Sorry about the finials as well.    While I and possibly other safe companies, may have a small collection of finials which we have removed from safes which were being scrapped, we don't have any listing by manufacturer.

While I may have a few replacements, Unless I have a photo of what you are looking for AND (more importantly) accurate sizes of the finials (acorns), I won't be able to tell you if I have any matches.

Similarly, many times we have to have the acorns fabricated as well - and you are correct - depending on the material and the finish, they can be pricy - generally in the $125 to $200 per finial cost.

I do maintain a listing of individuals that do antique safe restoration work, for referrals.   If you are interested in doing this type of work, get me all of your contact info and I'll add you to my listing.    If you are only doing this for yourself, then don't worry about providing me with the info.

You can send the info to me at:

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada