Antique Safes/Diebold Safe

Question
Disbold1
Disbold1  

diebold2
diebold2  
Terry,

I am trying to gain more information on this safe.  It has being offered to me for $250. The combination is lost so I would have to get it opened. Dean from Safe Restoration in Fort Ripley, MN said he could do it for $200. (He is only 35 miles from me.)  It also has a large tear in the metal in the back where someone attempted to enter it. To be of any use I would have repair the mortar/cement and get a sheet of steel welded over that. Is this safe worth even partial restoring, or should I pass and keep my eye out for another safe?

Thank you,
Greg

Answer
Hi Greg,

my recommendation would be to save the $500 and look for a better buy!

Basically you are going to have almost $500 into it without even beginning repairs.    Even if you have the capacity or capabilities to make it a DIY project you are in for a heck of a job.
if you can't do the work then you will have to sub out the work.
You could easily be looking at several thousand dollars to restore it.

While I can't make up your mind for you, the best I can do is to recommend you keep looking!  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)