Antique Safes/Farrel Herring & Co. furniture/safe

Question
FRONT VIEW
FRONT VIEW  

BRONZE PLATE
BRONZE PLATE  
Hi - I was wondering if you had any information as to the value of this piece of furniture.  It is approximately six feet tall and has 2 drawers on the bottom and 20 cubbies (5 columns * 4 rows) that are locked through a key on the right side of the piece of furniture.  Thanks.  Jeff

Answer
Hi Jeff,

I can't say that I've ever seen a similar container like this.   It obviously isn't a safe.

Whie Herring and Farrel both made safes for use in cabinetry,  I have no records of their actually building cabinets like this.

Unless this container has a hidden safe I have my doubts about it being made by them.   Having a manufacturer plaque attached doesn't guarantee that this is the actual maker.      Herring and Farrel only used this plaque with their safes.

unless it was made as part of a set. I'm inclined to believe that this may have been attached at a later date.

First recommendation would be a thorough examination of the entire cabinet,  including drawers,  looking for manufacturers marks.   Cabinet makers were very proud of their work,  and generally marked everything.

I would be happy to look at it closer but will need much better photos.    Pretty much,  until we establish a maker,  I will need photos of every surfa, including the backs and bottoms of the drawers.

You can send the photos to me at :  andy@securitysafeusa.com

my email will only except about 12mb of attachments,  so it may be necessary to only attach 3 or 4 photos per email.
Pictures need to be good quality of at least 1 mb resolution so I can zoom in to look at details.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)