Antique Safes/Farrel Herring & Co. furniture/safe

Hi - I was wondering if you had any information as to the value of this piece of furniture.  It is approximately six feet tall and has 2 drawers on the bottom and 20 cubbies (5 columns * 4 rows) that are locked through a key on the right side of the piece of furniture.  Thanks.  Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I can't say that I've ever seen a similar container like this.   It obviously isn't a safe.

Whie Herring and Farrel both made safes for use in cabinetry,  I have no records of their actually building cabinets like this.

Unless this container has a hidden safe I have my doubts about it being made by them.   Having a manufacturer plaque attached doesn't guarantee that this is the actual maker.      Herring and Farrel only used this plaque with their safes.

unless it was made as part of a set. I'm inclined to believe that this may have been attached at a later date.

First recommendation would be a thorough examination of the entire cabinet,  including drawers,  looking for manufacturers marks.   Cabinet makers were very proud of their work,  and generally marked everything.

I would be happy to look at it closer but will need much better photos.    Pretty much,  until we establish a maker,  I will need photos of every surfa, including the backs and bottoms of the drawers.

You can send the photos to me at :

my email will only except about 12mb of attachments,  so it may be necessary to only attach 3 or 4 photos per email.
Pictures need to be good quality of at least 1 mb resolution so I can zoom in to look at details.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada