Antique Safes/L.H.Miller Safe/paint color

Hi Mr. McQueen,
I am an artist who is currently touching up the paint on a turn of the century L.H.Miller safe. Would you happen to know the manufacturer of the paints the company used back then or possibly any type of color chart relayed to this company?

Lynn Fuller

Lynn, it would probably be easier to determine the paints used by Michelangelo.  I am not a painter, but it would be the rare collector who would be concerned that the exact same paint was used on a safe restoration job.    Obviously touching up requires consider blending skills as opposed to totally redoing the paint.  You might have some luck contacting the Baltimore Historical Society for info on L.H. Miller.  I wouldn't get my hopes up though.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place