Antique Safes/manufacture date of old cary safe

Question
Cary
Cary  
QUESTION: Terry,
I am a mechanical engineer that has taken up the practice safe lock manipulation as a hobby.  I purchased an old locked out Cary safe sight unseen the other day expecting to be working on a yale y-6/m16 friction fence and to my surprise, when I got my hands on the safe it became evident that the lock was a direct entry (Likely a Cary direct entry/straight tailpiece, screw change, 3-wheel??) would you agree?

I've never had the pleasure of manipulating this type of lock before and am excited to get at it.  the main question I have is do you know an approximate year of manufacture based on the serial stamped on the handle of 76046

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jeff

ANSWER: Hi Jeff,

You know what they say about making assumptions!!!!    In this business, especially with manipulation, its ALL about identification, identification, identification!

Your Cary was manufactured around 1903 and the lock that I would expect to find on the safe would be a Cary C-5, straight tail piece lock, with three screw change combination wheels and a front mounted driver with 9 false gates, though the true gate should be around 35 or 85.
The Patent date on the dial should be Sept. 16th 1890.    While the Cary C-3 lock was fairly similar, it was a much earlier design, and used on earlier serial numbers.

Obviously if you have experience manipulating standard lever type locks, you will find that manipulating straight tail piece locks is NOT going to be the same as the drive wheel gate has straight sides and not the "V" shape you would look for, so indications on the dial are NOT going to change.

Ok, I've given you about as much information as I can.   This web site is a general forum and for obvious security and liability reasons we DO NOT give out any opening information other than to identify the safe and/or lock, and the proper dialing sequence for the lock which we believe to be on this safe.

Note:   There are actually TWO combinations which will open this safe, one when dialed RLRL and the other when dialed LRLR.   The only number that WON'T change between the two dialing sequences is the last number - or drive wheel number.

Hope this helps.    When you get it open, I would like to know what serial number is stamped on the back of the wheel curb.    I'm keeping track of all Cary serial numbers and lock numbers.

Thanks,

Cary C-5 serial #
Cary C-5 serial #  

Cary C-5 Wheels
Cary C-5 Wheels  
QUESTION: Terry,
Well I was successful in manipulating the combination lock and getting the old Cary safe open.  We were correct, it was a Cary direct entry/straight tailpiece, screw change, 3-wheel combination lock.  The true gate ended up being at 28.  I went all out and added a machinists 0.001" increment dial indicator to my setup for this manipulation.  I think it really increased my reading accuracy and cut down on the time the manipulation took ( <3 hours of dial turning and charting).  Anyway, you asked for the serial number on the lock and it is shown in the attached pic.  if this helps you confirm the manufacture date of the safe please let me know.
Thanks again,
Jeff

Answer
Great job Jeff,

Adding the dial indicator was a good idea.    If I remember right someone was using a very similar technique in the late 1800's with a device called a "Hall's Manipulator" which was basically a counter weighted device attached to the handle.   The counter weight was adjustable to give you a VERY consistent pressure on the lock, so that the measurements were easily indicated by a separate pointer.   Very similar to a dial indicator, just not as sophisticated.

Even for as basic as these locks were, its very impressive how much attention to detail the manufacturer put into the wheel pack, and how great they look after OVER 100 years.   Notice the false gates in the drive wheel which I warned you about - they probably didn't give you much problem though.

As far as the age, no I'm still at early 1900's around 1903.   By keeping track of both the lock serial numbers and the safe serial numbers, it helps me identify safes which might be missing one or the other.

Congratulations on saving another great old safe.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)