Antique Safes/Opening Antique Chicago Safe

Question
Chicago Safe
Chicago Safe  
I have an old Chicago Safe that I inherited and there is no combination.  I would hate drill it.  Is there any way to obtain the combination?   Any other suggestions

Answer
Hi Ed,

Let me start off with your safe.    This isn't a Chicago Safe & Lock Company safe.   This company was more than likely simply a hardware and safe sales company.    I have no listings of them as a manufacturer.    Off the top of my head - without more info, and only having the one photo to look at, I would have to guess that this was possibly made by the "J. BAUM Safe & Lock Company".    It was very typical for sales agents to put the name of their company on safes for advertising purposes.

Once the safe is open, if you would like an evaluation or identification of it, I would be more than happy to look at more and better photos.

As far as your question about obtaining the combo - Yes, you basically have two options,

1.    You can try all of the 1,000,000 plus, possible combinations.    At 500 per day this could take you about 5.3 years.   "IF" the lock is a four wheel lock, this would take about 530 years!!!!!

2.    You can have it opened by a trained safe technician from a local safe company.    I never recommend using locksmiths as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without ruining them or causing excessive damage.

While manipulation is possible, it is not always guaranteed for several reasons.    First you may not have someone trained, or skilled in this area.    Second, some times the locks just don't want to talk to us.
With manipulation you WILL be paying for the service, but not necessarily the result.  

Drilling, when done correctly, by a trained, competent, professional safe tech will not damage the safe or the lock.    the usually small hole (less than 1/4") can easily be repaired and the safe returned to full operational condition.    If done correctly, drilling it will NOT damage the value of the safe.

NOTE:   As parts are not available for many of the older safes, any damage which results in lock replacement should not be done or tolerated.    Just because it can be opened and a newer lock retrofitted on, does not mean that this is the correct solution for the problem.

I would recommend that you check with your local safe companies (check yellow pages under safes & vaults).     If you can't find a company, or none of the locals seem competent, then let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)