Antique Safes/Safe Restoration

Question
HH&M Safe
HH&M Safe  
I have a old HH&M safe that I would like to get restored.  As you can see from the picture, someone sheared the dial trying to break into it.  There are also a couple of holes, one about the size of a baseball, one a golf ball, and the top has been peeled back some.  I can make the metal plate repairs, but want to have it completely restored.  The safe is located in northwest Louisiana.  Do you perform restorations, or know someone in the NW Louisiana/East Texas/DFW that does?

Thanks,
Rick

Answer
Hi Rick,

While yes we do some restorations, it isn't a big part of our business - or for that matter ANY safe companies business.    It is either done as a side business, or there are a couple individuals that do it totally separately.

I do have two safes in the shop right now for restoration, and both are taking WAY more time than I have available.     Unfortunately the actual safe business keeps getting in the way of what I would like to do!

Second problem, is that there are ONLY a few individuals throughout the US who do restoration work on safes, which means that you can either count on shipping your safe to them or being able to take it to them.

Third problem is available time -  The majority of these companies are easily 3 months to a year out on restoration work, so hopefully you aren't in a big hurry.

Possibly the nearest company to you is going to be around St. Louis, MO,

Frank Zykan Safe & Vault
636-328-2929
St. Charles, MO
www.zykansafe.com

the next closest person, and probably one of the best safe restoration artists around is:

Matt Lamborn
419-606-3168
Ashland, OH

While Matt would be your best bet, he is going to be much further away.   Feel free to contact them both to discuss your project with them.

Your other options would include making it a DIY project, though this would depend on your metal working skills, wood working skills and more importantly painting and art skills.    If you lack in a certain area, you can always contact someone local to assist in those areas.   Ideas for painters / artists would include local art colleges or departments or even some tattoo artists

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)