Antique Safes/Antique Hall Safe

Question
QUESTION: We have recently inherited a Halls Safe, floor model with steel wheels approximately 100 years old.  We have the combination and it was in working condition until a year ago when the indicator dial stopped turning.  The door will no longer latch and the dial won't turn.  Any suggestions?

ANSWER: Hi Shelley,

You didn't mention whether or not the safe door is locked open or closed?????    That WOULD make a big difference.

If the safe is locked open, then it may simply need service and repairs.

If the safe is locked shut, then it would have to be opened before any repairs can be made.

As far as whether or not it is an antique or not WILL be determined after it is opened and repaired.   If it is ruined during the opening procedures then it really doesn't matter how old it is - a boat anchor is still just a boat anchor!

You mentioned that you are in California - I cover most of Northern California and I have several friends that I could refer you to in Southern California that can open your safe and repair it.    Costs will depend on what's actually going on with it.    Until I have more info, I can't even hazard a guess at this point.

You can also check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults" to see if there are any companies in your area.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this point, but generally mechanical issues require HANDS ON diagnostics and solutions.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

QUESTION: Hi Andy,

Thank you for the reply.  The door is open.  We have a locksmith who will look at it, but don't know at this point whether that will help or not.  We are in Whittier,  about 20 miles east of LA.  Is there somebody you could recommend in the general area?  The safe will have to be moved to our house from Grandpa's place and it would probably be best to do that, then have it worked on.

Thanks again for your help.

Shelley

Answer
Hi Shelley,

First off, I NEVER recommend using most locksmiths as they generally do NOT have the training, education or tools necessary to work on safes.    While safe men are usually also locksmiths, rarely are locksmiths also safe men.

A couple of my favorite companies that I use and would recommend in the LA area are:

Stratton Safes
877-765-7233         Neil Stratton
240 Maple Ave #G
Beaumont,  CA 92223

Professional Safe Cracking
760-805-2958          Todd Kerm
All of Southern California
Temecula, CA 92590

Todd is a very good safe technician but is basically a mobile service, while Neil actually has a brick and mortar safe company.   But either one of these guys would be very good, however Neil also has all of the equipment necessary to safely move your safe.

My recommendation if your safe needs work and also need to be moved - give Neil a call.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)