Antique Safes/Antique safe age and manufacturer

Antique Safe
Antique Safe  
QUESTION: Safe Expert
I have an antique safe that I would like to find out the manufacturer and age. I don't want to sell the safe, just learn more about it. It's a family heirloom that came out of an old country store.
The dimensions are 38 1/4 h, 24 1/4 d, 25 1/4 w.
Stamped on the unlock handle are the numbers 14123.
Inside the back cover  on the bar that joins the two locking pins are the stamped numbers 5464.
I have found no data plates or other stamped numbers on the safe just what you see on the front which looks like the first owner at the top and the safe company that was probably just a distributor.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Hi Nelson,

Your safe was manufactured by Pittsburg Safe & Lock Company.    I will need to see much better photos to answer any other questions.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Thank you for the prompt response. I will send you more photos to your email to get a better idea of the age of the safe.
Can you tell me a little more about Pittsburg Safe and Lock Company. I can't find much.
Thanks you

Hi Nelson,

I believe I answered this question in a private email, but just incase, here is the information again.

There were two different Pittsburg Safe Companies.   The first was in business from around 1871 to 1875, and the second from around 1903 to the mid 1920's.   Based on the photo that you provided, your safe would have been from the second company.   

The business partners of the second company was composed of businessmen from both Pittsburg and Connellsville, PA in August of 1903, with a factory opening in November of that year.

Note:  Pittsburgh was originally named with its present spelling in 1794.   At some time during the early 1850's the "H" was dropped.   Advertisements in the 1854 Ohio Directories listed Pittsburgh both with and without the "H".   In 1911 the name was officially restored, though I've found advertisements and newspapers through at least 1916 which still showed it as Pittsburg.    I haven't found any indications to show that the safe company ever changed their name accordingly.

Other than a listing of the original shareholder and officers of the company, there isn't much more info about this company.

Hope this helps.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada