Antique Safes/Antique Vault Door and Safe Deposit Boxes

Question
vault door
vault door  

safe deposit boxes
safe deposit boxes  
Hi Andy, my company recently required a former Bank of America branch building. We are looking to sell the vault door and safe deposit boxes. My field rep recently gathered the information below based on questions a potential buyer asked. I have no idea where to even begin regarding the value of these boxes, safes and vault doors. Any assistance is appreciated.

thanks!

I have plenty more photos available if needed.

Completeness - are there doors, locks, keys or bond boxes missing?
The first (seems to be the original) unit of safe boxes  is 1 - 397 every box as the numbers affixed.

sizes are: 2 x 5, 3 x 5, 5 x 5, 10 x 10, & 10 x 14
door 270 is gone and door 335 is gone
in the 2 x 5's these are missing locks ... 273, 225, & 67
in the 3 x 5's these are missing locks ... 133, 286, 191, & 182

All boxes have light painted metal boxes that pull out except for the very large boxes, there are only shelves.

There is a four-plex unit that has four actual safe doors on it.  That unit is 4 feet high and 4 feet wide.  Each of the four individual safe doors are about 2 feet x 2 feet and have a combination lock on each door.  Under the Dibold safe deposit box section there is another large unit with shelves and a wooden tray that looks like it was used for storing files etc.

The new Dibold unit has numbers 348 - 445 affixed to the boxes.  Look at my photos to be sure but I do not list any missing locks or missing doors in my notes.

There were five "Guard Keys" on paper tags.  They are labeled:

#21  398-445
#23  1 - 300
#20  1 - 309
#25  310 - 397
#24  310 - 397

There was a big pile of extra lock parts for the old style boxes in safe box # 158  

There were various individual keys scattered thru-out different boxes with various labels.   There was a row of hooks with some misc. keys hanging on them by the vault ventilator motor.

The large section of boxes by the mirror measures 78 x 72.

The small section of newer boxes (310 - 397) measures 48 x 48.

The new Dibold section of boxes (398 - 445) measures 47 x 32.

Using the photos together with these notes and measurements will get you a much more complete understanding of what is there.

Condition
of the doors, hinges, frames, numbering plaques, bond boxes and keys.
Dents, dings, rust, spray paint etc could substantially impact value.
There was no rust or spray paint.  Outside of the missing locks and doors I listed nothing stood out to me that would make them look beat up or damaged.  Even the inner trays and boxes were pretty much without scratches on the ones I actually examined.

The four-plex safe and the big unit with the shelf and wooden tray under the Dibold safe boxes were a different matter.  They were quite worn and dirty.  Looked as if they had been used to store daily work from the bank.

Is the numbering sequential, starting with #1?
Yes
Accessibility
- Are the boxes on a floor that allows them to be wheeled out to a
loading dock, that keeps the expense of getting them onto a truck to a
minimum.
It will be about 40 feet of level floor to the front door.  There is not a loading dock.  

Knowing the name(s) of the manufacturer(s), shown on the inside of the
doors/locks, will help us to match up compatibility with other safe
deposit boxes we acquire and to secure replacement parts, as needed.
The older (seemingly original) section I could not find a mfg's name or numbers of any kind (except for the door numbers).  The newer section says Dibold on every door
Please provide us with the range(s) of numbers engraved/affixed to the boxes.
Above
Do all of the boxes use the same guard key?
Above
How many boxes have missing locks/keys/interior guard boxes, or other components?
Above
Can you give us a breakdown of the number of boxes per each style/manufacturer (usually shown of the back side of the locks)?
Above

Answer
Garland,

First off, I'm not really sure how to answer your posting - this website is setup and intended as a general purpose question and answer forum.    What you are asking for is a detailed evaluation of an existing site and equipment.

As you indicated that you are in Florida, my first recommendation is for you to contact a local safe company that can possibly visit the site to do an evaluation for you, including answering most of your questions.    Many of which can't be answered until after the site has a full, professional examination by a safe technician.

While your field rep did get quite a bit of info, he didn't get any actual useable information concerning the types of locks in use, while he was on site.   A simple screw driver, used to remove one lock might have given him more info.

From the photos you have provided I can give you some basic info though, concerning basic values of the vault door and boxes.

1.  Both are obsolete, and have little commercial value.    The problem is that vault door does not meet any current standards as a vault door.    While this in no way indicates that it has no value, it means that it is ONLY going to have a very limited cliental.     Banks and Credit Unions are NOT going to be interested.    
In general, if we were contracted to remove the door, we would charge you for the removal and also for the disposal of the door - we would NOT be buying it from you.    Also, another very important item associated with the removal is how the door is installed.   Chances are it is grouted in place, meaning that a concrete sawing company may be required to cut the surrounding concrete to facilitate door removal.

2.  The safe deposit boxes are all obsolete, and part are generally NOT available for these locks or doors.   While there are a couple of companies in the US who salvage this type of equipment to make it available for customers who still have older equipment, they are few and far between.   Basically they are also going to charge you to haul the equipment away.

NOTE:   OBSOLETE means that it is no longer made and parts are extremely hard to get and/or very expensive.    These items have NO commercial or retail value.

If you do have a potential buyer lined up, then I would jump on it.   Unless you are selling the entire building with the vault intact, any potential buyer may get extremely cold feet, when presented with the associated costs of removing and relocating the vault door.

While the door is an extremely nice older vault door, this doesn't change any of the info or comments I've provided so far.

My recommendation as listed above would be to have a representative from a local safe company (NOT a locksmith shop), do a walk through with your "field rep", so that they can give you a much better evaluation of what you have, and more importantly what it is going to cost to remove everything.

Contact:

Worldwide Safe & Vault, Inc.
3660 N.W. 115th Avenue,
Miami, Florida 33178 USA

800-932-2278
info@worldwidesafe.com
www.worldwidesafe.com

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm pretty sure I've explained why.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)