Antique Safes/Asbestos in S Withers Safe

Question
PC031833
PC031833  

PC031829
PC031829  
Dear Mike,
My local village hall has a very old S Withers Safe.  A recent asbestos survey has presumed asbestos is present as there was "no access to safe linings".  It is a bit rusty at the base so a possible risk of asbestos escape if any is present.  We want to avoid an asbestos "issue" if we can as we are short of money to deal with it.  I have attached two images but could send more.
Can you advise?
Regards Steve

Answer
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the question.

Your safe was made circa 1870 when body of these ancient safes was filled with a loose mix of sand and sawdust.  Sometimes alum crystals were added as they gave off moisture when heated and provided some basic level of fire resistance.  Several decades later, some manufacturers used Diatamite, a white ground fossil mixture which is sometimes mistaken for asbestos.  However, to my certain knowledge, none of the old Victorian safe makers used asbestos in any form.

I hope this helps,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer