Antique Safes/Herring Hall Marvin safe-

Question
Safe-front
Safe-front  

Safe open
Safe open  
I am sending pics of a very heavy and large safe I have inherited.  I believe it was probably used to store uranium billets for the govt.  in 1940.  Could you suggest how should I go about selling it?  Are there specialty magazines that advertise or is ebay the best?  Any suggestion of its worth?  I want to get it out of the garage!  It has been used as a gun safe, but now has some other things kept in it.  I'm sure it would be valuable to safe collector of someone who wanted a durable gun safe.  The lock still works.  I'll be happy to send more pics.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Merry Christmas!

Denise Little

Hot Springs, AR

Answer
Hi Denise,

Sorry but this does not appear to be a safe, which means that it wasn't used to "store" anything.    If it had been used to store uranium billets, the government would not have sold it has it would have been contaminated, and it would have been disposed of as a HAZMAT item.   I'm not sure where you got this info, but someone is pulling your leg.

It appears to be what we would term a "Plate" vault door.   The sides are the frame or vestibule.   As a vault door it would have secured a concrete room.    This isn't unusual at all and there are still thousands of these doors available or installed.   In fact I've got one in my garage which was built in the early 1900's.

Someone has acquired the door and frame from where ever it was installed, and simply added a piece of plate steel to the back to seal it off to make a very large storage locker.

As far as selling it, there are NO sites or magazines to sell items like this, you simply have to advertise just like you would for ANY item that you wanted to sell.    eBay, Craigslist, flyers, want ads, etc.   

Note:   Due to the size of the item, this may be difficult sell unless you find someone who wants to turn it BACK into a vault door, and install it in a room in their home.   It would make a GREAT entrance to a Wine Room or something similar.

Unfortunately, as a modified door and vestibule, it has little value.   Regardless of what it has been used for (gun safe) it doesn't meet ANY standards for fire or burglary resistance.

If you are interested in selling it and looking to restore its value, then you will need to restore it to, what it is suppose to be.    While it does have potential, its just NOT in its present condition.

Sorry that the answer isn't better.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)