Antique Safes/hinge acorn

Question
Safe hinge
Safe hinge  
QUESTION: Trying to locate a replacement acorn for a Mendelson-Meyer safe.

ANSWER: Hi Bruce,

sorry but I have no idea who "Mendelson-Meyer" might be, but I have no records of them as a safe manufacturer.   Chances are they may simply have been an owner of your safe at some point.   Or possibly a seller or agent of a safe company.

Based on the photo that you provided, my first though is that this is a Diebold fire resistive container, though I would need better photos to determine what you have.

Your existing hinge acorns or finials, also appear to be the hollow, sheet tin formed type.

Chances are, replacements are NOT going to be readily available.    I would need exact measurements and an exact drawing of one of your acorns, so that I can look through the ones that I have to see if any match.    This would include the screw/TPI measurements (threads per inch)   This is pretty much the most important measurement.   

Your other option would be to use one of your existing acorns as a sample to have four new ones made from.   They would be solid, machined acorns and can be machined from a number of different materials including brass, stainless steel, or regular steel.   They can either be polished or plated.    While nickel plating was the "standard", the polished stainless steel ones are by far the nicest looking.

Send your measurements, drawings and photos directly to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com   and I'll see what I've got available.

QUESTION: I assumed that Mendelson-Meyer Corporation New York, NY was the manufacturer. Jacob Kobia on the top front of the safe was the owner. I could go to a hardware store to figure what the TPI is if that would help. I would be happy with a close match acorn with a smaller diameter thread that could be placed into the hinge if that were the best that I could do. I will send additional photos to your email address. Who could match and make the replacement 4 acorns?

Thank you for your help.
Bruce

Answer
Hi Bruce,

You are correct - Jacob Kobia was probably the owner, and Mendelson-Meyer was possibly a distributor.

As far as matching and making the acorns exactly as yours are made - possibly no one.   building the machinery to form a single acorn would be cost prohibitive, which means that you options are finding a machinist (machine shop) who can make them on a lathe.    I have a machine shop next door that can do it, however, most machine shops like jobs where they can make 1000 to 10,000 parts at a time.    Small runs like one to four items, take a lot of time which adds to your cost.

If you would like me to get a cost for you, I would need a "blueprint" type drawing with all the measurements, or one of your acorns (in hand) to get the measurements from.   Generally depending on the cost and the material, I can already tell you that you are looking at around $150 to $200 each.   

Two problems - if you only want one made - it is going to be more expensive than making multiples, and  it may not match the finish of the ones that you currently have.

Cost to make four will be a little less per item, but they will all match.

Let me know what you would like.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)