Antique Safes/Identify Manufacture, Age, Value

Question
Hi Terry
I am am from Burlington Ontario and I picked up this old safe. I plan on restoring it. Could you give me your opinion on the manufacture, its age, and an approximate value. It weighs 1400 pounds and is 25.75" deep 30" wide and 41.5" high including the casters. The weight is 1460 pound.I have a lot of pictures so if you could send me your e-mail I will send them to you. They are a large file size so I have safed them in PDF to reduce the size. This site doesn't seem to except PDF so I have attached two of the large JPG files with this e-mail. Hope to hear from uou soon. Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hi Paul,

I would be more than happy to look at your safe for you, and will need you to send the photos directly to me.   No photos came through with this posting / question.

Also, I would prefer the photos in a JPEG format rather than the PDF.   While I realize that you are trying to reduce the size of the file, it limits my capabilities of zooming in, to look at details on the safe.   As indicated below, I have a 12mb limit on attachments, so depending on the size of the file, you may only be allowed to submit 2 to 3 photos per email (possibly less).    I'm not sure what you are considering large files, but while I would like them at least 1 mb, I routinely receive photos of 3-5 mb.   

Also please be specific with any questions that you have, and attach the questions to the email that contains the photos you have questions concerning.

This site isn't mine - I'm only a volunteer here, so I have no say so on how its run.   You are correct in that it is not really photo friendly.

Please send them directly to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)