Antique Safes/Mosler safe

Question
I have an old mosler safe. It is on 4 wheels and is 3'x3'x3' Measurements do not include height on wheels.  The number on the handle is 254372  I have the 4 number combination.  It has an inner door with a key entry.  I have the key.  It has 2 oak drawers with a small storage above and below the drawers.  It also has an open storage area to the right of the drawers. (Drawers are mounted on the left) Fire brick is between the inner and outer walls.  The decorative pins mounted in the hinges are missing.  It was painted with a brush and the paint is peeling and flaking.  The safe weights approximately 895 pounds. What is the age of this safe?  Would it's age make it worth the effort of restoration. Thank you in advance for any insight you can give me.

Answer
Hi Jack,

Your little Mosler was manufactured around 1913-1917.

I can't answer your question about whether or not the safe is worth restoring - that is something that YOU are going to have to determine.   Everyone has different circumstances and while some can easily throw $3000 to $5000 into a restoration, most of us can't.   That also doesn't mean that you have to PAY someone to restore the safe.   Obviously any work that you do, would be dictated on what YOUR DIY skills are.

Somewhere in between the DIY project and the $5,000+ pro job, there are other alternatives.   You can contact the art department at a local college to see if they would be willing to take it on as a restoration project, and/or you could hire some of the students for some after school work.

Missing parts would have to be fabricated unless you found a donor safe to acquire them from.   Missing acorns can easily cost $100 to $200 each, depending on the material you have them made from the finish and the machine shop labor costs.

While age DOES figure in to evaluations of what a safe might be worth, there are a lot of other items that effect the value even more.    Fortunately your safe is right on the edge, making it worthwhile (at least to me)!

Safes are considered "ANTIQUE" at 100 years old.   So with-in the next couple of years yours IS going to be considered and antique, and not just a collectible.

Smaller safes are generally more desirable to collectors than larger safes as they are easier to move and you can have many more.

If you have any specific questions concerning your safe, I would be more than happy to look at it for you.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)