Antique Safes/Need to know the UL rating on an old Shaw Walker Fire Proof Cabinet

Question
safe
safe  
I am trying to determine the UL rating for our 2 fire safes. We are required to have an UL rating of 150 for onsite storage. The cabinets we have are both SMNA rating of 1 Hr. Exposure, Cat. 4071, Spec. F2-ND, SN-4Y332538 and SN-4Y439405

Answer
Hi Steven,

The container doesn't have a UL rating - it was NEVER tested by UL.

The Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) was a testing agency similar to UL.  In this case the cabinet has a 1 hour fire resistive rating.
The Specification "F2-ND" indicates that this is a FILE Cabinet and NOT a safe.
The "serial number" on the label is for the tag and NOT the container.

This "1 hour rating" was for document protection and NOT for data protection.   Fire resistive cabinets and safes are tested for the period specified (in this case 1 hour) at a temperature of between 1500-1750 degrees F.    During this period the interior temperature CANNOT exceed 350 degrees F.    The reason being is that paper chars around 412 degrees and combusts around 451 degrees F.   If the interior temperature remains below 350 you can be assured that your documents will be safe.
Filing Cabinets or document storage cabinets were ONLY rated in two categories - 1/2 hour and 1 hour,  350 degree F.

Data safes/containers - on the other hand, have to have a temperature which remains BELOW 150 degrees F. for at least the period specified (1hr, 2hr and 4hr).  Some data containers are rated as 125 degree F.
These are very specialized safes, designed with a very specific purpose in mind.   This also means that these are going to be much more expensive than standard fire resistive safes.

Ok, back to your Shaw-Walker cabinet.   Based on the SMNA label, if it HAD been tested by UL, it would have receive the same 1 hour - 350 degree F. rating.    HOWEVER, UL rated containers must be recertified every 10 years to maintain their certifications.   Manufacturers don't generally care about this, as they are constantly coming up with newer models.

As SMNA has not even been around for OVER 50 years, your container does not meet ANY current standards for fire resistance.    My advice to you is that this container should NOT be used for ANY overnight storage of cash, valuable documents and especially not DATA storage media.

Bottom line - if you are required to have 150 degree F. rated containers, then it is time to go shopping.    While you are at it, I would also recommend replacing your current two containers with something more modern and appropriate for protecting your business documents.

If you really want to keep using these containers, relegate them to general purpose, NON-important document storage for items that can easily be replaced.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)