Antique Safes/open safe

Question
safe
safe  

safe inside
safe inside  
i moved into my house and i found  a  julius  bing  safe  locked open with duct tape, my question is can i retumble for a new combination number.

Answer
Hi Joe,

Short answers is "yes", but I've never been one for short answers - so:

Sorry but you do NOT have a "Julius Bing" safe.    The "Julius Bing Safe Company" was only a distributor or seller of safes, beginning around 1911, they are currently under the ownership of Anchor Safe Company in Warren, Michigan.   These companies did not manufacture safes.

Your safe actually appears to be a Syracuse Safe, manufactured by the Syracuse Safe Company, Syracuse, NY (1885-1929).

The lock on the safe is a Yale OB series, hand change lock.   The lock requires complete disassembly to either recover the current combination or to reset it.    As there are no "tumblers" in the lock, you can't re-tumble it!    Tumblers are usually at a circus!   LOL

My recommendation is for you to contact a local safe company to have a trained safe technician reset the combination AND service the lock to ensure proper operation.

NOTE:   I NEVER recommend this type of lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I don't recommend using locksmiths for most safe work.   Lack of training, knowledge and tool can result in a VERY expensive lockout    Cost to have the combination reset AND the lock and bolt work serviced, should be around $100 to $150.    Cost to have the safe opened ad repaired could easily run you $500 to $1000 depending on who you use, how much damage they cause to the safe, and if repair parts are necessary.

Check your local yellow pages under safes & vaults for a local SAFE company.   If you don't have anyone in your area, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see if I know anyone in your area.

This little safe is a great candidate for restoration work.

Hope this helps steer you in the right direction.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)