Antique Safes/open safe

safe inside
safe inside  
i moved into my house and i found  a  julius  bing  safe  locked open with duct tape, my question is can i retumble for a new combination number.

Hi Joe,

Short answers is "yes", but I've never been one for short answers - so:

Sorry but you do NOT have a "Julius Bing" safe.    The "Julius Bing Safe Company" was only a distributor or seller of safes, beginning around 1911, they are currently under the ownership of Anchor Safe Company in Warren, Michigan.   These companies did not manufacture safes.

Your safe actually appears to be a Syracuse Safe, manufactured by the Syracuse Safe Company, Syracuse, NY (1885-1929).

The lock on the safe is a Yale OB series, hand change lock.   The lock requires complete disassembly to either recover the current combination or to reset it.    As there are no "tumblers" in the lock, you can't re-tumble it!    Tumblers are usually at a circus!   LOL

My recommendation is for you to contact a local safe company to have a trained safe technician reset the combination AND service the lock to ensure proper operation.

NOTE:   I NEVER recommend this type of lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I don't recommend using locksmiths for most safe work.   Lack of training, knowledge and tool can result in a VERY expensive lockout    Cost to have the combination reset AND the lock and bolt work serviced, should be around $100 to $150.    Cost to have the safe opened ad repaired could easily run you $500 to $1000 depending on who you use, how much damage they cause to the safe, and if repair parts are necessary.

Check your local yellow pages under safes & vaults for a local SAFE company.   If you don't have anyone in your area, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see if I know anyone in your area.

This little safe is a great candidate for restoration work.

Hope this helps steer you in the right direction.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada