Antique Safes/safe repair

safe doors
safe doors  
Hello, i have an old morris ireland safe that was broken into. they didnt get into it but they ruined the doors and was wondering if i could just have the repaired or replaced? i have more pics if u want to see them

Hi Daniel,

Your safe was not made by "Morris - Ireland Safe Company" - this company was simply a distributor or seller of used safes.

More than likely it was made by the Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company, however I would need much better photos to determine the actual manufacturer.

In answer to your question - yes the safe can be repaired - the bottom line would be how much are you willing to spend???

Obviously the skin can be repaired, welded, faired and repainted.   Broken, damaged or missing parts can be refabricated or replaced.    If a similar safe is located, between the two safes, you may be able to make a single safe by using donor parts from each safe.

Cost to repair the safe WILL depend on how much of the work YOU can do, and how much you will need to "sub" out.    But you should be considering in the $2000 to $5000 range as a budget.

My recommendation would be to contact a local safe company to have them take a closer look at it to see what they might be able to offer as far as repairs.

NOTE:   Very few safe companies in the US are willing to work on older safes like this to repair them.   This is a time consuming project which takes away from their regular, everyday schedule.

Possibly the closest company that I would recommend your talking to would be:

Hanover Safe & Lock
781-826-8872          Phil Shearer
990 Washington St
Hanover, MA  02339

If Phil can't repair the safe or doesn't want to take the time, he might point you towards someone else in the area that can.

I possibly have other recommendations for you, however they are much further away and would require transporting the safe a greater distance.

Bottom line - whether this safe can be repaired or not WILL depend on how much you are willing to spend on it.

Second item - replacing the safe.    While this is another option for you, in addition to finding and acquiring another safe, you will have to have this one removed and disposed of.   This can possibly be done during the installation of the newer safe.    Generally scrap dealers won't take these safes unless the insulation material has been stripped from the safes.    Landfills generally won't take them, or will charge you as "non-compressible landfill", so you may pay a premium to dispose of it.

A temporary option would be to weld a plate over the large hole, and install new "pull handles" as the bolt work will not work with the missing/broken operating handles.   Install one or more padlock hasps to allow you to secure the doors.

Sorry there aren't better options available, however I hope that this will at least give you some ideas.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada