Antique Safes/Victor safe

Question
Victor safe lock
Victor safe lock  
Hi there. I have several questions... Recently I acquired a safe from my husbands family. We don't know anything much about it at all, other than it has been in an old decrepit house out on the family ranch. I know that the safe was put in the house some time in the 1940s and it has been there untouched as far as anyone knows. I would like to know anything you can tell me about the age and if you think there is anyway we could possible open it without destroying it???

Answer
Hi Margaret,

Your Victor Safe and Lock Company safe was manufactured between 1900-1920, though I would need to see much better photos including interior pics to try to narrow this down further.

As far as opening the safe without damaging it - yes, this is very possible, however you only have a couple option -

1.  You can test all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations which may be on your safe.   The dialing sequence for the lock on this safe is:

4 times left to the first number,  (0-100)
3 times right to the second number,  (0-100)
2 times left to the third number,  (0-100)
1 time right until the dial stops  -   safe is open

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

As you have not used this safe in 60-75 years, it doesn't seem like there is any major hurry to open it, so testing all the combinations may be a "fun", family endeavor to go through.   Testing 500 EVERY day, will only take you about 5.5 years to test them all.    Hope fully you would come to the correct combo long before you test them all.

2.  Your second option would be to have a trained safe technician from a local safe company open, repair, service and recover the combination for you.   If done correctly, no damage will occur and the safe would be open AND operational.

Check your yellow pages under safes & vaults for a local safe company.  

Hope this helps.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)