Antique Safes/In the wall fire box with combination lock

Question
Hercules in wall firebox
Hercules in wall fireb  

info panel
info panel  
I have an in the wall Hercules fire box with a combination lock (Meilink Steel Safe Co. of Toledo.  The door is open but I do not have the combination and would like to use the box, though I suspect that it would not meet current specifications.  Where might I find directions on re-setting the combination?

Answer
Hi Mark,

You are correct, these little fire resistive containers are over 50, and probably closer to 60 years old, so they do not meet any current standards for fire resistance.   They are also NOT a burglary resistive container.

While I wouldn't hesitate to use it for daily storage of items which you use regularly, I would recommend that when ever you leave your home, everything of value be transferred to a more modern safe that does meet current standards for fire and burglary resistance.

Nothing worse than coming home to find your house burned or burglarized, and the majority of your stuff is gone!    On the other hand, coming home to find that all the really valuable items ARE still accounted for is like winning the lottery!!!

The lock on these containers is a three wheel hand change unit, meaning that the lock WILL have to be disassembled to either recover the current combo or to reset it.    I NEVER recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   You need a trained safe technician from a local safe company.    Check your local yellow pages under safes & vaults for companies in your area.     It should be a very simple job for them to check it out, service it (yes they do require maintenance), and either recover or reset the combo for you.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)