Antique Safes/Weight of Safe

I have a Safe-Cabinet Standard ME Type (Marietta, OH).  It's dimensions are 6 ft. X 4 ft. X 2 ft.  It has a double door and is on casters.  I would like to know the approximate weight so that I can safely use our elevator.  In rolling it I would guess that it weighs more than 2000 pounds, but I want to be sure so I don't ruin our elevator.

Frank Jasper

Hi Frank,

The container is easily in the 1500 to 2000 lb range.     I ALWAYS recommend considering the highest possible weight, especially when using elevators - you DO NOT want to under estimate.

Also, a rule of thumbs that we use - if the weight of the safe and any equipment approach 2/3's of the RATED weight of the elevator, then we require two things:

1.   A letter of authorization from the building owner / engineer to allow us use of the elevator, and
2.   an elevator operator / technician from the company responsible for the maintenance of the elevator.    They can manually operate the elevator, and temporarily increase the brake capacity so that it operates at a safe speed.

NOTE:   The rated weight capacity of the elevator is NOT the maximum weight it will carry, it is a safe working load, usually designated by law as a percentage of the maximum capacity, for safety purposes.

The rated weight capacity (safe working load limit) should be posted on a placard or elevator permit, in the elevator.

Not taking these considerations in to account, and not utilizing an elevator operator / technician to manually operate the elevator, could result in damage, or having the elevator drop into its "pit", stranding it and the safe.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada