Antique Safes/Authentic Marvin safe?

Question
Marvin safe door
Marvin safe door  
Does this appear to be an authentic Marvin safe? Circa 1860s? Are the finish and patina correct or has it been redone?

It's approximately 2 feet in all dimensions. The knob is stamped with MARVIN'S PATENT Dec 1st 1863

Answer
Dan,

I would be more than happy to look at your safe, to determine what you actually have.   As far as the "finish", many safes were given this "wood" look.   Faux wood finishes have been used by many safe makers all over the world, to make the safes "blend" in with other furniture.

You obviously don't understand "Patina", or you wouldn't have used it here.   Patina is the oxidation of bronze or copper.   It is that "greenish" film that covers those surfaces.   This oxidation is similar to rust on steel.   Oxidation is generally never a desirable effect, especially on steel or cast iron type safes.
The only other word that is misused more than "Patina" is "Vintage", which applies to the age of a wine bottling or grape harvest, and NOT old stuff.

Now back to your safe - chances are, with the "Marvin's Patent" stamp on the handle, it would be a Marvin's safe, however as to your "circa 1860's" mention - the "Dec. 1st, 1863" date is in reference to the PATENT ISSUE date only, and NOT a manufacturing date.   Patents were issued and used for periods of up to 20 years, but may have been used even after expiration if the device the patent referenced was still being installed.
As the Marvin Safe Company, merged with several other companies in 1892 to form the Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company, what this patent date tells us is that the safe was built between 1864-1892, giving us a 28 year period to look at.    I do have a listing of several patent dates, so I've got some information to compare to when trying to "date" when your safe was manufactured.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Sorry about the "Patina" thing, but it's one of my pet peeves.   I'm looking forward to seeing your safe.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)