Antique Safes/H.H.M. safe lock removal

Hello, I have the H.H.M. lock cover off the combination lock box (see mikesoldblog spot for a picture.  Have removed the back cover and three combination discs.  But the selector disc is still in the box, and hence still attached to bhe bix and the safe door, just hanging there, screws removed.  How do you remove this disc?  It has a drive pin/steak that I removed from the center of the disc, then what do you do?  Nothing budges! Is the disc screwed onto the shaft, or press fit, or what?  I have to remove this to get the total lock box out of the safe!  Thank you~

I have no idea what a "selector disc" is.   I'm assuming that you mean the drive wheel.   The drive wheel is directly attached to the dial, when you turn the dial, the drive wheel mimics the movement inside the lock.

The drive wheel is threaded onto the dial arbor (spindle), and locked in place by means of a spline key.   to remove it, the spline key must be carefully pulled out, and then the dial and drive wheel "unscrewed".

If you don't pull the spline key out correctly, you can easily break it off, and then you possibly won't ever get it off.    I get calls like this routinely where a locksmith will try to take the lock apart and break the spline key off, and/or damage the lock and can't put it back together.

Be careful and don't damage anything as replacement parts are extremely few and far between.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada