Antique Safes/J Grove, Birmingham Vintage Safe

Question
Safe
Safe  

Safe
Safe  
Hi Mike,
I recently bought a safe with a nameplate that reads "Manufactured by J Grove, Birmingham". I cannot seem to find out anything about this safe, most information is on J. Grove and Son.
I was told that this is not a very secure safe because it is east to break into it. I wanted to use it to safe guard my jewelry.  It has two draws inside that lock with a key which I have. The main door has a brass key.
I was wondering the value and should I have it restored? Will it loss any value if I have it painted?
I would appreciate any information about this safe.
Thank you for your help in this matter.
Lisette

Answer
Hello Lisette,

Thank you for your question and the pictures.  J Grove was one of a host of small Black Country safe makers that burgeoned in the late Victorian period.  The construction of your safe is known as 'square cornered' as the two sides, top and bottom are made from single mild steel sheets rivetted to an angle-iron frame giving them that sharp, square cornered look.  The body is filled with sand and sawdust, a primitive fire proofing.

These safes were designed to protected ledgers from loss by fire more than burglary and were already considered obsolete by 1890.  Sadly they have little value today as they are not recommended to secure cash, valuables or important documents and underwriters seldom wish to insure their contents.

If carefully refurbished they can make interesting curios and are often used as drinks cupboards but these safe are easily forced open in minutes.  Unfortunately, even scrap dealers reject them as the sand and sawdust makes such a mess of their yards.  

If you search for 'antique safes' on ebay you may see examples of refurbished safes of this type and also get some idea of what they fetch at auction.

I hope you find this useful,

Michael Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer