Antique Safes/j grove & sons safe defiance safe works

Question
I wonder if you could help with the valuation of this safe,as well as how much I could sell it for and maybe where to advertise.   
I am in South Africa.  
DEFIANCE SAFE WORKS MANUFACTURED BY  J GROVE & SONS
BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND
LATE WITH CHUBBS

IT HAS A J GROVE & son invinsible lock with two drawers inside
AGENTS:CENTRAL MATTRESS COMPANY PO BOX JOHANNESBURG
BENT STEEL SAFE MAKERS   J GROVE & SON
FIRE RESISTANCE

Answer
Hi Celia,

Generally English made safes similar to yours have a fairly low value for a couple reasons, first is that pretty much ALL of the safe manufacturers  making safes at that time in England, were making virtually identical safes.   Second reasons is that, with few exceptions, all of these safes were shipped and sold through out the UK, and areas under their control.    This means that there are a lot of this type and style of safe on the market, through out the UK, and because they are very similar in appearance, they simply don't stand out.

In general the prices that I've seen them go for over the past several years has been around "150-200 British pounds", ($240 to $320 US dollars).

Usually the plaques, locks, key hole covers and handles tend to be more collectible than the safe.

My recommendation  would be for you to check with local antique dealers to see what a similar container might go for in their shop.    This will give you a better idea of what your container might be worth locally.

Obviously the value of the container is determined by its condition, whether all the parts and pieces are there and whether all of the locks work correctly.

Hope this helps

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)