Antique Safes/London Safe Company

Question
oldsafe1
oldsafe1  

oldsafe3
oldsafe3  
Hi Tom,I have an old safe which I would love to repair. I know nothing of its' history and would be grateful for anything you could tell me about it. It was repainted about 35 years ago and I have taken off this paint both inside and out and think it was green originally. What finish should the inside have? The lock, plate and handle are brass. It has a small plate on the front "London Safe Co., Brisbane, No. 161. The larger plate is "Patent Fire Resisting".
It measures 36cm deep x 38cm wide x 56cm high.
Looking forward to hearing from you, Thanks, Glenda.

Answer
Hi Glenda there are no standard paint finish for antique safes - almost all manufacturers looked at what was in their store and painted the safe accordingly.
Your safe is likely to be a British safe from the Midlands and British Racing Green is a BS colour that approximates to a popular colour range for both inside and out.
I am afraid that the larger plate did not  come out clearly at this end but it may have been made by WEhitfield -a prolific but unexciting manufacturer.

Antique Safes

Tom Gordon