Antique Safes/OLD John Tann Safe

Question
John tann safe
John tann safe  

john tann safe
john tann safe  
Hi Mike,
I have attached pictures
Can you help out will some information on this John Tann safe?  It has the Royal Coat of Arms and underneath has "Dieu et mon droit".
Can you tell me any history on this safe?  
We do not have a key and would like to have one made, is this possible? A lock smith has advised us he can drill into the safe and he can make matching locks- will this effect the value of the safe? Also is this safe valuable? we are located in Sydney Australia and i have contacted leading valuers and been told it is not worth anything. Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Many Thanks Vanessa

Answer
Hello Vanessa,

Thank you for your enquiry and the pictures of your safe.  The Tann family was the world's first safe maker dating back to 1799 when it traded as E Tann.  It was later inherited by Edward's grandson John and the company took on his name.

The construction of your safe is known as 'square cornered' as it was made from separate sheets of mild steel riveted or screwed to an angle iron frame - this gave it the typical sharp cornered look.  They were primarily designed to preserve ledgers in the event of fire so the hollow walls are filled mostly with sand and sawdust, a very primitive form of fire proofing.  This type of construction dates from circa 1850 to 1890 so it is late Victorian.

Tann's great rival, Chubb & Sons was the first holder of the Royal Warrant and I am sure Tann also had the right to display it (many companies displayed the Royal Coat of Arms without authority to do so).

One point of interest.  The upper floors of No 11 Newgate Street were said to have overlooked the execution yard of the notorious Newgate Prison and this tended to put staff off their lunch.  Whether this was true or not, around 1900 they moved further along the road to 117 Newgate Street.

Safes of this age are totally obsolete and have no commercial use for the security of cash, valuables or important documents.  Smaller safes are often restored to a high standard and sold on as drinks cabinets, etc., but the larger models are not too popular because of their weight, so it won't have a lot of value other than as a really interesting piece of history.  

You may get some idea of values by visiting Ebay and searching on 'antique safes'.  These old safes do scrub up very well and the badges are normally brass.  Finally, you can learn more about John Tann's history by visiting www.safeman.org.uk It is maintained by an old friend who used to be a director of John Tann.  Sadly, the company was acquired by a big Swedish conglomerate some years ago and this proud name finally disappeared.

I hope you find this interesting.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consutancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer